Heather of Relentless Forward Commotion came to me because she was looking for an overall “cleaner” look for her blog. There were several issues she had and was hoping that a site redesign would help. She:
- felt her header was too big and was taking up too much of the above the fold space.
- wanted her social follow icons to appear in a more prominent place.
- felt that her sidebar was too narrow – standard ads did not fit.
- she had a large empty space between her last post and her footer.
- whenever she wrote a post the font would appear as a light grey and she had to highlight all of her text and manually change the font color in her post editor.
Here are some of the “before” screenshots:
Top part of blog:
Standard 300px wide ad does not fit:
Empty white space between last post and footer:
To correct all of the issues she was having with her blog I installed the Genesis Framework, and my newest theme: Fashionista Genesis Child Theme. The theme itself did not require any customisation so this was a quick and easy solution. I added in some genesis plugins to add in the social icons into the navigation bar, and to style her subscribe widget to match her blog. For her header I trimmed off the grey shading and black border, then added her tagline back in below the main image. Overall it looks cleaner and corrects all of the post formatting and ad formatting issues she was having.
Here is the final product:
Visit Heather’s blog, Relentless Forward Commotion
to see the Fashionista theme in action here.